Monday, August 29, 2016

A Chair

I built my first chair about 40 years ago by nailing four lengths of wood onto the corners of a (folding) cardboard ludo board. It was not a good chair. It was only through the phenomenal strength my barely formed thighs that I managed to keep my bum off the ground until the end of tea time. This is my second chair and is pretty successful.

I'd always thought that making furniture might be a rewarding occupation it being both creative and practical. However it's also quite time consuming, space hungry and expensive. The plan was to attempt to make a set of chairs and a small table but time moves on and other projects came to the fore so 1 chair is all there is for now.

There are nails or screws but I did use 'organic resin' glue to strengthen the joints. It was a great excuse to invest in some new tools though. I now have a band-saw, bench-sander, electric-planer and biscuit-jointer (nope,me neither).

I do like the chair very much though. It was based on the stylised designs that Annes Stevens and I developed for the game; Fable The Journey. I think it worked out really well and is quite charming if not very practical as the footprint is quite small. It's shown here on Hankley common to add a touch of drama.








Cutting the mortice and tenons


Laminating the legs
The un-oiled seat.The splits are cut in as a stylistic feature

Perhaps one day I'll make the rest of the set but keep your money in your wallet for now, I'm not be taking any orders just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment