Monday, April 25, 2011

Sicily sketches

Just back from two weeks in Sicily where we rented a house overlooking the sea near Scopello. Sicily is lovely, all you might want from an Italian experience; beautiful countryside, chaotic towns, turquoise water and great food. It's also got the most unthreatening feral dogs and the most threatening drivers I've come across anywhere. The cafe/bar in Scopello is a great place to sit and be amazed by both. Outside their cars the people are lovely; relaxed, engaging and charming but once behind the wheel they're SCARY.

I Managed a couple of morning runs (not my best time :-) in the Zingaro national park which was amazing. It was more like fell-running as the paths are really rocky and uneven with quite demanding slopes. I made it even more challenging by sticking to a strict and beautiful diet of pecorino cheese, fresh bread on the hour, suino-nero salamy, oil soaked veg and cheap wine. I should really align my intrerests better.

More relevant to this blog, I found the time to do some watercolour sketching as well. It was fantastic being able to paint in such wonderful light. It really makes easier to be braver with the palette when everything is glowing. I think I learned quite a lot from the experience.

There are a few more pics here if you feel the need more sicily sketches

No comments:

Post a Comment